Rockwerks Lapidary Forum

Talk about rocks, jewelry, gemstones, collecting sites, and much more.
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:46 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Rockwerks Lapidary Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join the Rockwerks Lapidary Forum Today!

Post subject: Advice on Rock Saw
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:24 pm 
New to group

Have thanks: 0 time
Newbie here. I recently acquired a 20" Nelson Machine Works of Portland, OR, Model 16B0 (Circa 1950s???). I've completely overhauled the saw and now just need a motor and blade. This saw is somewhat unique in that the motor drives a gear box that operates a cam/eccentric that pivots the blade carriage up and around the rock about 90 degrees. This enables the blade to contact the rock at a smaller area as it cuts.

I would like to find the following:
1. Any user/owners manual
2. Motor recommendation (the shaft that the blade mounts to has a 4-step pulley and the only other saw like it has a 4-pulley on the motor. One step drive the 'eccentric' or cam that pivots the blade up and around 90 degrees)
3. Any information on this saw or similar saws

Here are some photos (ran out of paint)

Photo as purchased:

Manufacturer plaque

Carriage/blade side view

View From Motor mount side (no Motor)

Opposite side from blade - note gear box for eccentric (green under motor mount station) and grinding wheel/tray on side

Blade side again with vice carriage and tension weights

Underside showing oil pump (gray) and eccentric gearbox (green)

Post subject: Re: Advice on Rock Saw
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Highscores: 28
rock interest: all of the above
Nice job on the saw. I'm not sure of what motor, probably at least a 3/4 horse. You did a great job of fixing it up. It will probably run longer than the newer stuff out there. Keep us updated on your progress,
Great work,
Dan

http://www.dbrockwerks.com

Post subject: Re: Advice on Rock Saw - Update
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:26 am 
New to group

Well, I've been occupied with other things recently but have managed to complete a few pieces of work on the saw. I've added a 1hp motor I purchased rom Grizzly.com (TEFC 1725 RPM). The only problem I have is that if I use the original mounting bolts on the saw, the 4-step pulley I'm using doesn't extend far enough for the belt that drives the oil pump and eccentric to clear the side of the base. Even when the pulley is extended out to the furthest end of the shaft the belt rubs the side of the tub. The shaft is pretty much universal - virtually all the motors I've come across have the same length shaft. Here's a photo of an identical saw (owned by a friend of mine and the only other one I've come across) and the belt routing.

It appears as though his motor sits on an adapter plate that mounts to the original mounting bolts. I'm going to fabricate a similiar plate and see if it will give me the 3/4" I need for my belt to clear the side.

I've also replace the worn out rubber pads on the vice with some 1/2" conveyor belt cut to size. I added some plumbing for the oil feed - a barbed nipple plus some 3/8" vinyl tubing and a few clamps and it shoumd lubricate the blade from the top.
I'm comtemplating using biodiesel for the lubricant. I've read quite a bit on the various concoctions that people use for lubrication - from straight vegetable oil to water to mineral oil to special lapidary oil. My son makes biodiesel for his VW Golf and it has better lubricating properties that regular diesel, a very high flash point and yet is thin enough to let the sediment settle out. It also won't turn rancid like veggie oil and won't thicken except in very cold temperatures. I would like to know if anyone has tried this and/or some opinions on using biodiesel as a lubricant. The cost to me is only $1.25/gal

I just need to find a resaonably prices saw blade t finish the job.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:28 pm 
Rockhound

Highscores: 46
rock interest: not sure
Not sure if I'd use biodiesel as a lube.... It's flammable. I would suggest using standard or synthetic oil, as it's less prone to igniting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:36 pm 
New to group

Rockwerks wrote:
Nice job on the saw. I'm not sure of what motor, probably at least a 3/4 horse. You did a great job of fixing it up. It will probably run longer than the newer stuff out there. Keep us updated on your progress,
Great work,
Dan

Hi Dan, I recently acquired the same model of saw, mine is number 85. It doesn't have all of the parts with it and I need to make some replacements. Is there anyway that you can get a better picture of the eccentric and how it connects? From the picture of your friends saw, it appears that you need a stepped pulley to drive the pump and the saw. Do you know what the size is on the end of the motor pulley?
I didn't notice here if it is allowable to leave contact information here or not, so will hope that you get a notice that someone addressed your posting. I did find a contact in Salem, Oregon that has oil for saw at a real good price compared to over the counter oils.

Thank you for posting the pictures that you did, just by chance, I grabbed the green reduction box and wasnt sure how it was supposed to go on or even what it was supposed to do.
RockRick7119

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]